First victory of 2021 WRC season in Artic Rally Finland | Hyundai N
- Hyundai Motorsport has taken its first victory of the 2021 FIA World Rally Championship (WRC) with a confident win for Ott Tänak in Arctic Rally Finland
- The Estonian, alongside Martin Järveoja, won by a margin of 17.5 seconds, having led the rally from the opening stage
- Thierry Neuville and Martijn Wydaeghe scored their second consecutive podium result in third, with Craig Breen and Paul Nagle in fourth.
28 February 2021 - Hyundai Motorsport has claimed its first victory of the 2021 FIA World Rally Championship with an assured performance from start to finish in Arctic Rally Finland, the second round of the season.
Estonian crew Ott Tänak and Martin Järveoja concluded the ten-stage event confidently to win by 17.5-seconds from Kalle Rovanperä with team-mates Thierry Neuville and Martijn Wydaeghe in third.
The double podium finish for Hyundai Motorsport marks its first-ever top-three result in a Finland-based WRC event and sees the team hold second in the manufacturers’ championship on 77 points, 11 behind the leaders after two rounds.
Tänak took the rally lead on the opening stage on Friday afternoon and never relinquished his authority of the event. With five stage wins out of ten and a measured approach to the final morning, he secured his second-ever win in the Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC (his first was at his home rally in Estonia last season).
Crews had just one stage to negotiate on the final day, the 22.47km Aittajärvi test, which was run twice. The second pass was held as the rally-concluding Power Stage with extra points available for the drivers’ and manufacturers’ championships.
Neuville and Wydaeghe, in just their second WRC event as a crew, picked up their second consecutive podium result after another solid weekend performance. They continued to work on their communication and collaboration, using the high-speed rally to make another important step forward in their partnership. A dominant stage win on Saturday evening was a sign of their progress.
Craig Breen and Paul Nagle, in their first WRC event of 2021, ensured all three Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC cars made it safely to the finish, taking fourth. The Irish crew started Sunday with a new gearbox after impressively fast work by the team’s mechanics in the 15-minute morning service and rewarded them for their efforts with the second fastest time in the Power Stage.
For Hyundai Motorsport, the result cemented the team’s 18th victory, and also its 18th double podium in WRC. Neuville, meanwhile, has moved up to second in the drivers’ classification, just four points behind leader Rovanperä, while Tänak opened his 2021 points account in style to jump up to fifth.
Crew Notes: Ott Tänak/Martin Järveoja (#8 Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC)
- Second victory for Hyundai Motorsport after a dominant weekend
- Secured the win by 17.5 seconds and added valuable Power Stage points
Crew Notes: Thierry Neuville/Martijn Wydaeghe (#11 Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC)
- Second consecutive podium result for new partnership
- Closely contested fight to the rally end, narrowly missing out on second place
Crew Notes: Craig Breen/Paul Nagle (#42 Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC)
- Fourth for the Irish crew ensured all Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC cars finished in the top-four
- Strong Power Stage result for the pair to take four extra points
- The third round of the 2021 FIA World Rally Championship, Croatia Rally, will take place April 22-25
- Based in the capital city, Zagreb, the event will be the first pure tarmac round of the season
Final Overall Classification – Arctic Rally Finland
2021 FIA World Rally Championship for Manufacturers’ Standings
After round 2
2021 FIA World Rally Championship for Drivers’ Standings
After round 2
All results remain subject to official FIA confirmation.