Getting Ready for Rally Italia Sardegna | Hyundai N
- Hyundai Motorsport will target another competitive performance as the 2020 FIA World Rally Championship (WRC) moves onto Rally Italia Sardegna next weekend
- Last year’s Sardinia winners Dani Sordo and Carlos del Barrio will return to defend their crown, alongside past victors Thierry Neuville/Nicolas Gilsoul and Ott Tänak/Martin Järveoja
- Hyundai Motorsport has taken three wins at Rally Italia Sardegna, including two double podiums, making it one of the team’s most successful events.
2 October 2020 - Hyundai Motorsport is targeting another competitive performance at next weekend’s Rally Italia Sardegna, the sixth round of the modified 2020 FIA World Rally Championship (WRC).
A 1-2 result in Rally Estonia and a double podium in Rally Turkey has reduced the gap in the title chase to just nine points, heading to a venue where Hyundai Motorsport has previously won three times.
The team will field a three-car entry into the event with Thierry Neuville/Nicolas Gilsoul, Ott Tänak/Martin Järveoja and Dani Sordo/Carlos del Barrio. All three crews have scored wins in Sardinia during the past four seasons.
Neuville triumphed for Hyundai Motorsport in 2016 and 2018, while Sordo memorably secured his maiden win with the team in a dramatic conclusion to last year’s event. Tänak, who was the recipient of Power Stage misfortune 16 months ago, was victorious three years ago and will be looking to recapture that winning form.
Taking place later than its usual summer date, weather conditions are likely to be cooler and more unpredictable, adding a new variable to the popular gravel event, which will cover three full days of competitive running. All three Hyundai Motorsport crews have tested in Sardinia in preparation for the rally, and head into the Alghero based event expecting to be competitive.
Crew Notes: Thierry Neuville/Nicolas Gilsoul (#11 Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC)
- Previously won in Sardinia in 2016 and 2018
- Crew looking for another strong event after finishing second in Turkey
Crew Notes: Ott Tänak/Martin Järveoja (#8 Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC)
- Estonians aiming to get title ambitions back on track in Sardinia
- Crew won Rally Italia Sardegna in 2017
Crew Notes: Dani Sordo / Carlos del Barrio (#6 Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC)
- Spanish crew returns for first WRC event since Rally Mexico
- Memorably secured their maiden Hyundai Motorsport win in Sardinia last year
WRC 2 overview
Hyundai Motorsport’s WRC 2 crews will return to action at Rally Italia Sardegna for their fifth event of the 2020 season at the wheel of the Hyundai i20 R5.
Ole Christian Veiby and Nikolay Gryazin will both be targeting improved pace in the 16-stage gravel event alongside their respective co-drivers Jonas Andersson and Konstantin Aleksandrov.
Both drivers have season-best results of second place in the WRC 2 category, Veiby in Sweden and Gryazin in Mexico, but neither has picked up results truly representative of their potential or the performance of the Hyundai i20 R5. Hyundai Motorsport N currently holds third in the championship on 84 points, 23 from the leaders.
Weekend at a glance
- The 16-stage Rally Italia Sardegna itinerary covers three full days of action starting early on Friday morning with a loop of two stages Tempio Pausania (12.08km) and Erula-Tula (21.78km)
- The loop will be repeated prior to lunchtime service before a third loop - Sedini-Castelsardo (14.72km) and Tergu-Osilo (12.81km) - in the afternoon.
- That loop will be run again as the conclusion to Saturday’s schedule, following two passes through the familiar Monte Lerno (22.08km) and Coiluna-Loelle (15km) stages in the morning
- Sunday’s final four stages, also well known to crews, will cover Cala Flumini (14.06km) and Sassari-Argentiera (6.89km) - bringing the total stage distance for the weekend to 238.84km