Hyundai Veloster N Wins Prestigious 2020 Road and Track Performance Car of the Year
- Road & Track Editors Considered the 2020 Finalists the Most Exciting Field of Contestants to Ever Compete for the Award
- Veloster N Only One of Two Contestants Priced Below $30,000
FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., Nov. 4, 2019 - Hyundai Veloster N has won the highly selective and prestigious Road & Track Performance Car of the Year honor for 2020. Veloster N, with a base price well under $30,000, emerged the victor in an arena with considerably more expensive world-class challengers, including the Toyota Supra, Lexus RC F Track Edition, Lotus Evora GT, McLaren 600LT Spider, Lamborghini Huracan Evo, BMW M2 Competition, Chevrolet Corvette Stingray, Porsche 911 Carrera S, Nissan GT-R Nismo and Mazda MX-5 Miata RF Club.
Road & Track editors were clearly smitten with Veloster N’s fun-per-dollar ratio:
To be eligible for the Performance Car of the Year test, vehicles must be series-production, street-legal cars that push the limits of performance and pleasure on both road and track. The winning Performance Car of the Year was determined using the following criteria:
- Outright speed and testing numbers are part of the package but they don’t determine the winner. Beyond sheer pace, a car has to bring emotion to the table.
- The car must embrace track duty while still being enjoyable on the road.
- Technology has to be used in service to the driver, not just added speed. Feedback and sensation via complexity is great but complexity alone doesn’t cut it.
- Lastly, would any other manufacturer build it? Does the car feel uniquely of its story and brand?
The seventh-annual comparison test appears in the December/January issue, on newsstands November 26, and on RoadandTrack.com now.